Twitter changes affect WordPress plugins

Published 01 Sep 2010 in Blogging, Plugins, Social Networking, Software, WordPress by ZigPress

Yesterday, Twitter updated its API (the method by which websites and other programs access Twitter feeds) so that a particular kind of authentication (oAuth) is required.

“Big woop”, you may say, or possibly “what are you talking about?”.

Well, if you use WordPress, it may affect you.

What it means is that any WordPress plugins or widgets that access Twitter using the older “basic authentication” method have now stopped working, as I found out when I looked at this site and a couple of client sites yesterday.

For a while I have used a Twitter widget that I created myself, to show 2 or 3 recent tweets in the sidebar of this site. Alas, because I used the simplest code I could (I’m lazy), my widget which used basic authentication doesn’t work any more.

Tweet Blender

So, I did a few minutes of research, which convinced me that my life is waaay too short to rewrite my widget using the extremely horrible oAuth protocol. Instead, I checked out the WordPress approved plugin repository and quickly found a plugin called Tweet Blender which, with a tiny bit of extra CSS added to my theme, does exactly what I need with no questions asked. As you can see if you cast your eyes towards my sidebar. I can highly recommend it. :)

1. On 01 Sep 2010 at 16:00, Metal Treasure Detector said:

WOW! Thanks for the Breaking news on Twitter! That is Huge! Hundreds of thousands of wordpress users will be affected…or millions.

2. On 01 Sep 2010 at 19:54, Anderson said:

Thanks so much for posting this… I had no idea. Since I have created several wordpress sites which include twitter widgets, I will have to check up on this… Hope you get your plugin working properly with the new API, Andy!

3. On 02 Sep 2010 at 01:49, Andrew said:

Thanks for the heads up! And seeing the looks of it, it appeared on your sidebar really nice.

4. On 02 Sep 2010 at 14:32, Dating Malta said:

Thanks for the tip – I think we will have to do some work as a result of this.

5. On 05 Sep 2010 at 20:10, Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa said:

These changes really screwed up some of my blogs on Wordpress. I guess Twitter needed to make them ?

6. On 07 Sep 2010 at 10:53, Bathroom Suites Guru said:

I think most widgets still work after the API change, mine wasn’t affected on my blog. Might check out the plugin that you mentioned, I quite like the simplicity of it’s design.

7. On 10 Sep 2010 at 16:13, Paintball Nottingham said:

I wondered why this had happened, we had set up our own twitter widget and it was hitting a few problems. Although, we’ve pulled it offline now, we’ll get a wordpress approved one I think. Easier to keep on top of lol

8. On 14 Sep 2010 at 06:47, Ret said:

Thanks for informing me this Andy. Good thing I don’t use automatic WP plugins to twitter. I usually share my tweets manually -it a way I actually interact on social media like twitter.

9. On 28 Sep 2010 at 20:14, CD duplication said:

That’s the nature of twitter and social media as a whole. It can be a nightmare for devs but it is always full of new and unique opportunities for them and users alike.

10. On 29 Sep 2010 at 08:51, Ptose mammaire chirurgie esthétique Courbier said:

They’re rolling back some of these changes apparently.

11. On 08 Oct 2010 at 01:03, Tony Wentworth said:

Why can’t they leave it alone. Honestly learn and hone your kills and then they go change things. Sounds like another big company we all know off starting with G!

12. On 31 Oct 2010 at 20:02, Thermal Mug said:

I’m not at all a Twitter expert, but am fairly familiar with HTML, CSS, etc. Have been looking for a simple solution to present multiple Twitter feeds for a school website – the Blender looks promising.

We’re still looking at some sort of “delay” module, just in case someone changes their mind on a post, or if someone gets into the accounts (sometimes security isn’t what it should be…).

13. On 01 Nov 2010 at 15:23, Pigmentation said:

Can anyone recommend a good WP Twitter plugin to tweet a blog post and add hashtags?

14. On 09 Nov 2010 at 11:32, Charlie M said:

Thanks for highlighting this. I discovered my Twitter plugin was broke ( a little late I know!) and I was scratching my head as to why.

I will look at the Tweetbender plugin as a solution.

15. On 06 Dec 2010 at 00:32, emma said:

Good thing I don’t use automatic WP plugins to twitter. I usually share my tweets manually -it a way I actually interact on social media like twitter.thanks

16. On 04 Aug 2013 at 20:41, Ankit said:

I wondered why this had happened, we had set up our own twitter widget and it was hitting a few problems. Although, we’ve pulled it offline now, we’ll get a wordpress approved one I think. Easier to keep on top , Thanks for share